Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mt. Maculot Adventure (Cuenca Batangas)

Music: Hanson (Yes! It’s on shuffle haha. I still have this crush with Taylor Hanson – so bite me.)

Friend took this picture. Cropped it and I am not being emo mind you. haha

It was so random, our IT friends were just joking and asked whether we want to go join them on their next climb. Feeling the need to run away from everything that connects me to work and the city, I agreed.

Friday, October 29th I reached Batangas (only to sleep over at my friend’s house to get ready for the next day). It was cold that night which reminded me of Albay. I never really get enough good sleep whenever I am in the city. There is always something to worry about in the morning or the fear of not being able to finish the tasks that need to be done. Saturday came and we were off to start our climb. We came in 2 hours late to the surprise of everyone in the group and as well as the angst. Haha.

We started around 2 in the afternoon, 14 of us started the climb with a prayer asking God to keep us safe. Some areas were hard to climb and at some point easy. Had a lot of rest as it was after a few years since I had climbed one. We reached the camp site after 3 hours of trekking. The mountain had the best way of welcoming me. I stepped on poop and didn’t know until I jumped down from the tree I climbed to look at the Taal Volcano. What made it worst is that I didn’t know it was poop. I smelled it to check what it was….. I smelled it. Hahaha. Much to my disgust, smelling confirmed it. Thank you Mt. Maculot for the experience! I didn’t touch food til the next day even if I cleaned my hand pretty well.

The sunset up there was so beautiful. Being a fan of that time of the day made me take a few good breaths to savor the view and thank God that he guided us up safely and provided us such a beautiful experience. 

Sunset at Mt. Maculot, Cuenca, Batangas (10.30.2010)
Setting up the tents didn’t come as hard as it was. It was so cold up there but crazy that I was, I only had shorts for changing. The guys brought drinks, it really does help to keep you warm up there believe me, especially gin. Midnight came, my roomie and I couldn’t sleep because the tent was soaked and the tarpaulin we used to cover the tent was pulling the pegs out from the ground. I couldn’t take it anymore, went out, on my shorts haha, then checked what I could do. I went out twice because I couldn’t handle the cold. I called some of our friends and then we all helped fix the tent. It was one of the best sleeps ever!

Morning came. Some were asking us all to wake up and head on to the summit  they call “ Rockies” tired from the night, we let them go first and followed after. It was such a beautiful place. It was  challenging to go there since the ground was a bit slippery and boulders were everywhere. But the trek was so worth it. 

at the summit with my friend
Three days away from the city made me realize that there are so many things I tend to neglect. Like enjoying a simple morning and taking a deep breath then thank God for that day. Sleeping soundly like a baby, not having a lot of worries at night. No calls or texts, no internet or not even having the phone at hand all the time. It also made me realize that I was so out of shape, not because I can see it in the pictures but because I couldn’t handle a 10 minute climb without catching my breath and stopping.

The trekking taught me that in all hardship, in every struggle, there is always something out there that can make all the fighting worth it.

At the summit. Breath taking place. Peaceful.




No comments :

Post a Comment