Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Perks of Being A Wallflower



The Perks of Being A Wallflower



This might be the first movie/book I will talk about thoroughly here. I know I have 2 entries about movies (related links below this post) but this one is different because weird as it may sound, this is close to my heart. It is one of my favorite books and movies of all time. No not because it is Emma Watson in the movie (that is of course one of the sub reasons) but for these:

  • I am not THAT of a wide reader, although some would say I am a nerd (I do not refute this by the way), but this book/movie/story is one of the best that I have read/seen. It is honest, draws a lot of emotions, kick you in the reality shins about adolescence, love, losing people that you hold dear, conquering your very own demons and discovering a beautiful life outside your created shelter-walls in your head.

Emma Watson, Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller

  • I am those characters (Sam, Charlie, Patrick and the others). A little bit of all of them. Their stories were and are my stories. I have been a wallflower, one way or another I have been called names and still being called names, I have judged and been judged. I have also been subjected to uncertainties in life; have lost the people that I love just like you and Charlie. I have gone through a lot of bull shit in life as well as needed to conquer my own demons. I have done what some of these kids had done during the remarkable times of being adolescent. Fragments of these people are me in one.

  • The taste in music of the characters (and the writer Stephen Chbosky). Come on who wouldn’t love The Smiths, The Beatles? The song choices are just amazing that I have had a field day reading/watching this because the music just fitted my taste. I will not justify any further. Just check The Perks of Being a Wallflower Soundtrack and music references in the book as well.

                                The Perks of Being a Wallflower Soundtrack Cover


The Perks of Being a Wallflower Movie Soundtrack:

1.    “Could It Be Another Change” – The Samples
2.    “Come On Eileen” – Dexy’s Midnight Runners
3.    “Tugboat” – Galaxie 500
4.    “Temptation” – New Order
5.    “Evensong” – The Innocence Mission
6.    “Asleep” – The Smiths
7.    “Low” – Cracker
8.    “Teenage Riot” – Sonic Youth
9.    “Dear God” – XTC
10.  “Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops” – Cocteau Twins
11.  “Charlie’s Last Letter” – Michael Brook
12.  “Heroes” – David Bowie


The Perks of Being a Wallflower Novel Music References:
2.    "Asleep" by The Smiths
3.    "Vapour Trail" by Ride
6.    "Time of No Reply" by Nick Drake
7.    "Dear Prudence" by The Beatles
8.    "Gypsy" by Suzanne Vega
10. "Daydream" by The Smashing Pumpkins
11. "Dusk" by Genesis
12. "MLK" by U2
19. "Autumn Leaves" by Nat King Cole
21. "I'm Going Home" sung by Tim Curry as Frank-N-Furter in The Rocky Horror Picture Show




  • Actors, you have got to love how Emma Watson has grown and has effortlessly changed from that of a genius wizard to this unique, dark yet lovable care free character in the movie. Given fact that she is this one beautiful talented woman, she is a brilliant actress that I will forever be a fan (even if I think she didn’t play Hermione I would still be a fan based on how she performed Sam. Logan Lerman as always is a great actor, this guy would bring to the plate what is asked of him and I think even more. Ezra Miller is one attention grabbing actor in this movie. He was just plain brilliant.

  • Of course one of the favorite things to do while reading a book is to find a remarkable literary line (phrase/sentence) that could hit the heart and mind. Here are some of my favorite The Perks of Being a Wallflower quotes (no it is not just that “And in that moment, I swear we were infinite”):


o    “It's strange because sometimes, I read a book, and I think I am the people in the book.”

o    “We accept the love we think we deserve.”

o    “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.”

o    “I would die for you. But I won't live for you.”

o    “So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.”

o    “There's nothing like deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons.”

o    “It's just that I don't want to be somebody's crush. If somebody likes me, I want them to like the real me, not what they think I am. And I don't want them to carry it around inside. I want them to show me, so I can feel it too.”

o    “She wasn't bitter. She was sad, though. But it was a hopeful kind of sad. The kind of sad that just takes time. ”

o    “And I thought about how many people have loved those songs. And how many people got through a lot of bad times because of those songs. And how many people enjoyed good times with those songs. And how much those songs really mean. I think it would be great to have written one of those songs. I bet if I wrote one of them, I would be very proud. I hope the people who wrote those songs are happy. I hope they feel it's enough. I really do because they've made me happy. And I'm only one person.”

o    “And all the books you've read have been read by other people. And all the songs you've loved have been heard by other people. And that girl that's pretty to you is pretty to other people. And that if you looked at these facts when you were happy, you would feel great because you are describing 'unity.”

o    “Just tell me how to be different in a way that makes sense.”

o    “I am both happy and sad at the same time, and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”

o    “I think the idea is that every person has to live for his or her own life and then make the choice to share it with other people. Maybe that is what makes people "participate.”


Simply put, I love this book and the film adaptation. I do not think I will ever say something to critic both the novel and the movie. How cool was it when there was a mention of a walkman in the movie/book, a mixtape, A MIXTAPE!!!, vinyls, a typewriter and all those things that I grew up with!

Seriously, this book is for me. This was my time, my era this story is about me and any other person who grew up in the 90's.




No comments :

Post a Comment